Before you head out for your summer road trip, Mr. Transmission/Milex Complete Auto Care recommends making sure your tires are ready to hit the pavement.
Prior to packing your bags and stocking up on road trip snacks, it’s important to make sure your tires are ready for the trip. The condition of your tires will impact your car's performance and safety. The experts at Mr. Transmission/Milex Complete Auto Care compiled a checklist you can use to get your tires ready to travel.
- All-Weather Tires. If you put snow tires on to provide traction during the winter months, replace them with all-season tires that will handle well during a summer downpour.
- Tire Pressure. Check the PSI on your tires. As the temperature goes up, the PSI in your tires increase. For every 10-degree rise in temperature, the tire pressure goes up by one PSI. Over-inflated tires can cause blowouts or overheat.
- Tread. Do a visual check of the tread on your tires. Check the built-in indicator or wear gauge to make sure your tires aren’t worn down. If your tire does not have an indicator, you can use a penny. Insert it with President Abraham Lincoln’s head pointing down. If you can see all of his head after you insert the penny, it’s time to get your tires changed.
- Check Alignment. Having your tires properly aligned will ensure even wear and tear and maximize their life. If you notice your car pulling to the right or left, or feel a vibration, it might be time to have a mechanic test your car’s suspension to make sure it doesn’t need adjusted.
- Spare Tire. While you’re making the rounds, remember to check the condition of your spare tire. It may need some air.
Pre-Road Trip To-Do List
In addition to making sure your tires are ready to speed down the open road, there are other steps you need to take to ensure a hassle-free vacation.
- Brake Check. Fluctuations in temperature can do a number on your brakes. Make sure your brake pads do not squeak. It’s also a good idea to check to see if the edges of your brake pads show any discoloration or crumbling. If they look suspect, a quick trip to the mechanic will provide peace of mind.
- Get AC Inspected. As temperatures rise, you’ll want your air conditioning to be in prime condition to keep your family cool. A Mr. Transmission/Milex technician can do an AC maintenance test. They can do a blacklight inspection of your car’s AC to expose any leaks.
- Test the Battery. The typical car battery will last three to five years. If your dashboard lights look dimmer than usual or it takes longer to get your engine started, the battery may need to be replaced. Don’t let a dead battery put a damper on your plans, a Mr. Transmission/Milex Complete Auto Care technician can easily test your battery to make sure it’s in good condition.
- Replace Windshield Wipers. Ice and snow likely did a number on your wipers. They need to be in prime condition to handle summer rainstorms. Replacing your wipers is an easy and inexpensive task.
- Top Off Fluids. Make sure all of your car’s essential fluids are full, particularly coolant. No one wants to hear people in the back seats complaining that they are hot. It may be a good idea to get the oil changed before logging any extra miles.
- Build an Emergency Kit. Be prepared in case an emergency crops up. Pack a kit to stash in your trunk. Your summer emergency kit should include a flashlight, first aid supplies, bottled water, and non-perishable food items. It’s also important to have easy access to basic auto repair tools like a jack, tire gauge, jumper cables, and flares.
- Consider Roadside Assistance. Having the security of roadside assistance available to help out in a jam can provide you with peace of mind for particularly long car trips. Many roadside assistance subscriptions include free towing and on-site help if your battery conks out or you get a flat tire.
Summer Travel is Back On
Following the outbreak of COVID-19, Americans put a halt on travel plans and planned staycations to help flatten the curve. The rollout of vaccines and low COVID numbers are sparking a renewed surge in travel. People are once again booking hotels, renting beach houses, and planning trips to our national parks. Nearly 85% of Americans are planning to travel this summer, the U.S. Travel Association revealed.
The recent uncertainty regarding the mask requirements on airplanes following a Georgia judge’s decision to strike down the federal mask ban is leading to uncertainty and dismay. Many people are continuing to skip out on the hassle of air travel and driving to their vacation destinations. Eight out of every 10 travelers plan to travel in their personal car this summer.
Find A Mr. Transmission/Milex Near You
Mechanics at Mr. Transmission/Milex Complete Auto Care can help get your car ready for summer. Mr. Transmission/Milex is one of the brands operated by the Moran Family of Brands, a leader in the aftermarket auto and window tinting industry. Click here to find a Mr. Transmission/Milex Complete Auto Care location near you, or visit our home page to learn about Moran’s other brands.